Airlines offer free COVID tests on popular business travel routes
COVID tests are providing an opportunity to re-open travel. So, airlines are responding with free tests and trials on the most popular routes. Which is great news for business travellers, as it includes London to New York flights.
Here we run though the latest COVID test offers and trials.
New York/Newark to London Heathrow
On 16 November, United began a four-week trial of flight UA14 from New York/Newark to London Heathrow. On selected dates, passengers will need to take a free COVID test before boarding. Those under the age of two, will not need to take a test.
The goal of the programme is to ensure all passengers receive a negative COVID test result before departure. Travellers will still need to check entry requirements for their end destination.
Day-of-travel – rapid COVID test
- Administered by Premise Health at the United Club, near gate C93 at New York/Newark
- United are reaching out to eligible customers (those booked on trial flights) prior to their trip to schedule COVID tests
- Appointments are required, and must be booked in advance
- Results are provided in approximately 30 minutes
- Testing is free to travellers on these flights, and
- Is mandatory for boarding
BRITISH AIRWAYS – AMERICAN AIRLINES
British Airways, American Airlines and Oneworld are introducing an optional, medical-based testing trial on selected flights from the US to London Heathrow. The purpose of the trial is to demonstrate that testing can reopen international travel, and remove the need for quarantine on arrival.
Free tests will initially be offered to eligible customers booked on the following flights:
- AA flight AA50 from Dallas / Fort Worth (DFW) to LHR
- BA flight BA114 from New York Kennedy (JFK) to LHR
- BA flight BA268 from Los Angeles (LAX) to LHR – from 25 November
*The trial will be expanded to include AA flight AA106 from JFK to LHR, with a launch date still to be confirmed.
During the trial, passengers will undergo three tests. A negative test result means they will not be permitted to travel. In this scenario, the customer should contact the relevant health authorities and follow protocol. Any pending travel may be changed or cancelled, without a fee by the operating airline.
Alitalia is extending their COVID-screened flights from Rome to Milan until 31 January 2021
Passengers need to test negative for COVID-19 in order to board these flights. They can either:
- undergo a rapid antigen test
- provide certification of a negative PCR test, or
- perform an antigen swab test 72 hours before flight departure
Included in the COVID test offer are:
- flight AZ 2038 at 1:30pm (every day of the week), and
- flight AZ 2092 at 5:30pm (Monday to Friday)
Travellers departing from Rome Fiumicino can access a rapid antigen test at the Rome ‘Leonardo da Vinci’ airport in either the Long-stay car park, or at the Health Centre in T3 Arrivals, near the baggage reclaim exit.
Passengers continuing their journey can access tests in Rome Fiumicino, at the ‘Box area test COVID-19’ health facility in boarding area E, Gate 11. Travellers will need to allow 50 minutes before departure.
Should MIDAS Travel clients wish to book any of these flights, please contact your travel team. For any other enquiries, Get in Touch.
Please note that MIDAS Travel is working with a dedicated provider to develop discounted COVID testing deals for airlines not mentioned.