Travelling in 2021: what’s new after Brexit?

Brexit flag

The UK’s transition period has now come to an end and we have left the EU. After Brexit, we are starting to see new travel rules and regulations coming into force.

Here we summarise the most significant so far in 2021.

1. EHIC card is replaced by GHIC Card

Before travel, be sure to have either a valid:

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or
  • UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or
  • Travel insurance with health cover

You may not have access to free emergency medical treatment and could be charged for your healthcare if you do not have an EHIC or GHIC when visiting an EU country, or travel insurance when visiting Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

If you have an EHIC it will still be valid while it remains in date. Apply here>>

2. Driving licences and permits

The UK has now secured agreement with all 27 EU member states to recognise UK driving licences WITHOUT the need for an International Drivers Permit.

UK drivers can continue to drive in the EU without an IDP (notwithstanding current COVID restrictions). Read more>>

3. Passports and visas

Passports of UK nationals traveling to the EU must be less than 10 years old and remain valid for at least six months from the date of entry.

UK citizens require visas for stays in the EU longer than 90 days in any 180-day period; the same requirement applies reciprocally for EU citizens visiting the UK. Read more>>

4. Trading and compliance

UK businesses trading with the EU must submit customs declarations and other paperwork, and undergo additional checks. Read more>>

5. Work permits

If travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for less than 90 days in a 180-day period, you may be able to do some things without additional paperwork, for example going to a business meeting.

However, you may need a visa, work permit or other documentation if you’re planning to stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, or if you’ll be doing any of the following:

  • transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country (‘intra-corporate transfer’), even for a short period of time
  • carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country in which your employer has no presence
  • providing services in another country as a self-employed person

Read more>>


MIDAS Travel consultants advise all our travellers and bookers on any changes affecting their trips.

Should MIDAS clients wish to find out more, please contact your travel team. For any other enquiries, get in touch.